Ⅰ About the Research Group
Department: Department of Computer Science and Technology, School of Information Science and Technology, Peking University
Research Directions: Programming Languages / Program Analysis and Program Synthesis / Software Development Environment
Zhenjiang Hu (full professor, department chair, member of the European Academy of Sciences, IEEE fellow, member of the Engineering Academy of Japan);
Yingfei Xiong (associate professor with tenure, NSFC Excellent Youth Scientist, 973 Project Young Scientist, National Award for Technological Invention-1st Class);
Xin Zhang (assistent professor, recipients of SIGPLAN / SIGSOFT Distinguished Paper Awards).
Our world nowadays heavily relies on software, and the development of software heavily relies on programming languages. Under this trend, a methodology called "software defines everything" has emerged. It essentially extends the idea of programming to the society and the physical world. It is a methodology to control complexity in a hierarchical and abstract way. With the development of human-computer integration, ubiquitous computing becomes inevitable. To address challenges brought by such changes, we need to develope new programming languages. On one hand, they need to abstract the underline physical world and provides means to interact with it; on the other hand, they need to be applicable to various upstream scenarios. In ubiquitous computing, the rises of new computing models, new computing platforms, and new application scenarios together bring new challenges to the design and implementation of programming languages.
The Programming Languages Laboratory aims to address these challenges. It was founded by Pro. Zhenjiang Hu in April 2019. Its current members include Prof. Zhenjiang Hu, Prof. Yingfei Xiong, Prof. Hongjie Chen, and Prof. Xin Zhang. They have a rich expertise in research of programming languages and software engineering. The culture of the laboratory is to focus on foundamental resarch, to challenge hard problems, and to build both beautiful theories and artifacts that work in practice.
Ⅱ Job Description
Currently there are openings for 2-3 postdoctoral researchers. They are expected to mainly work on research topics related to program development, including the theory and implementation of functional programming languages, domain-specific and model-driven bidirectional transformation languages, program synthesis, program analysis, testing, program repair repair, etc. They are also expected to collaborate with industry labs and other research groups in China or overseas. The specific research topics will mainly include but are not limited to topics covered in the funding projects.
Ⅲ Requirements for Candidates
1) Have good characters in general, eager to learn, positive and optimistic, can work well in a team.
2) Have strong theoretical foundations and can do research independently.
3) Full-time only.
4) The postdoctoral employment will last 2-3 years. When meeting the standard of the university, the postdoc can apply to leave.
1) Is under 35 and recieved a Ph.D. degree from a well-known university within three years.
2) Has published at least one research paper at a top conference or journal as the first author / corresponding author.
The salary and benefits shall be implemented according to the regulations of the state and those of Peking University. Depending on their own situations, the candidates can apply to the Boya postdoc program or the "Boxin program". Based on the performance and the work, the lab and the Software Institute may provide additional compensations. For details, please contact us directly.
Ⅴ Application Materials
1. Detailed resume (including education and working experiences from the start of undergraduate to the time of application, research projects in charge / participated in, publications, patents, etc.).
2. Application letter (describing why you applied to the postdoctoral program, and what are your plans).
3. 2 representative papers and other supporting materials.
Ⅵ Recruitment Process
1. Email to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please title the email with "Applying for Postdoc - <your name> - <preferred start time>".
2. After the materials have been reviewed, qualified candidates will receive the interview invitation by email within one week. The application materials will not be returned.